Friday, August 25, 2006

Words

Because another post I’m working on kind of stalled last night, I’ll go back to something I was half-consciously thinking about while I was running the other morning. For your Friday night enjoyment: a list of words I like. Some I like for their sound, others for their meaning, some, even, just for how they look on a page.

It’s a completely unscientific, non-rigorous list, but I enjoyed putting it together. Take it for what (little) it’s worth.
discomfiture
mephitic
caliph
Hezbollah
gaijin
dun (v.)
Krakatoa
brunette
Torquemada
snafu
conversant
arboretum
salonnierre
de moda
Spinoza
pragmatic
militant
bemoan
hedonism
Tamerlane
mercurial
laconic
sub rosa
de facto
shortstop
denizen
tsar
cooper
tournament
implication
Kalashnikov
frack
Westphalia
sword
sweven
Guelphs
Ghibellines
intermittent
pestilential
Byzantine
signal (adj.)
diktat

Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

  1. preposterous
    telescope (v.)
    Gauloises
    transom

    ReplyDelete